Networking opportunities are everywhere. Don't let them pass you by.
by Sue and Chuck DeFiore
1. Recognize that there is more to networking than greeting people. Develop a step-by-step plan for how you'll build relationships and how you can effectively tell your story. Don't forget your 30 second commercial to tell your story.
2. Zero in on specific groups of people. Who are the ideal prospects for your business? Do they live nearby? What activities do they participate in? Try networking groups meetings. For those of us in lease purchasing we network with real estate agents, accountants, financial planners, and a multitude of others.
3. Determine where you'll be most likely to find your ideal prospects. Do they belong to specific organizations or associations? Do they frequent particular events, performances or recreational facilities? Again, for those of us in lease purchasing, investors, buyers and sellers are just the beginning.
4. Identify organizations, events, professional groups and social clubs whose members meet your profile characteristics, and get involved. Get to know people, and let them know what you do. Volunteer for committees, attend conferences, and maximize opportunities that might spin off from the formal sessions. For those of you in lease purchasing, and even other businesses, become an expert. Give seminars, speeches, write articles. Become involved and get your name out there.
5. Work on your ability to make small talk. Have some prepared topics in mind—current events, sports, vacation plans. And be sure to ask open-ended questions of the other person like "What is it you enjoy most about your work, or where you live or your free time?" Remember, too, that having a good conversation depends greatly on being an active, courteous listener. Again, your thirty second commercial is a must. And let's emphasize again being a good and courteous listener.
6. Explore organizations dedicated to business networking. Chambers of commerce, tenant associations and networking clubs offer opportunities for you to meet and greet. Look for the groups in your area. Many times your local paper has a certain day of the week that lists all of these types of meetings. If you don't see it, call your paper and ask about it.
7. Look for partners. Specifically, look for other businesses that complement what you do and might be a good source of referrals. Again, those of us in lease purchasing have it easy. We have a ton of people to work with. For those of you in other businesses, think of who would complement your business. If you are a travel agent, how about hotels, spas a flower shop, what about bridal shops, catering services, party planners... you get the idea.
8. Don't look at networking as a sales opportunity. Instead, look at it as a reconnaissance mission—a chance for you to learn something and enjoy the scenery. There is a proper time and place for sales calls. This is a very important point. Read it over and over again. Networking is not sales.
9. Make a habit of being patient, polite and friendly to people, whether or not you're in an "orchestrated" setting. This is just good business behavior. If you are going to run a business, at least a successful one, these are just some of the characteristics and behavior you will need to employ.
10. Finally, do something constructive with the names and information you've gathered. Stay in touch with the most meaningful contacts. Again, those of us in lease purchasing know the importance of following up and have numerous ways to do so. For those of you in other types of business, develop a few types of follow-up methods such as phone, fax, newsletter, brochure, card and letter.
Referrals, introductions and contacts that simply come by chance are like gifts. Be sure to thank anyone who helps you network, and when appropriate pay a nice referral fee. Your ability to be seen as a giver rather than a taker will spread the word that you are someone with whom people want to do business.
Interested in having your own successful, home based creative real estate investing business? Chuck and Sue have been helping folks start successful home based businesses for over 17 years, and we can help you too! To see how, visit http://www.homebusinesssolutions.com for the latest FREE tips and tricks, educational products and coaching in creative real estate investing and home based businesses. No time to visit the site? Subscribe to our FREE "how to" Home Business Solutions Digest, it's like having your own personal coach: Subscribe here!
Subscribe Me NOW
Join our growing family of Web Lions. Get Special FREE Services,
Tools and Resources.
To listen to a new Top Show, click the picture.
Special 30-Day Success Course|
Yours for FREE if You Act Now!
Happiness Is A State Of Mind, I'm Happy...... I Think!
by Richard Vegas
You have the power to attract and repel anything in life you want! It's all in your hands. Contentment, happiness, and joy are right around the corner. Hang in here with me; some of this is going to go against the grain of previous thinking.
You have the power to attract and repel anything in life you want! It's all in your hands. Contentment, happiness, and joy are right around the corner. Hang in here with me some of this is going to go against the grain of previous thinking.
The Moment Of Truth!
Regardless of whom you are, you are unique, you are special, and you are a wonderful person. Yet, certain people may not think so.
lt Nah…not me you say
gt ) if you feel that they react negatively and offensively to many things that you say and do, you may discover some insight here: They are just as human as you are.
You might not want to believe this but everything that makes you special makes them special. If something offends you, it might also offend them. If something influences you, in some given manner, the same thing might also influence them.
Undesirable reactions on the part of others could be due to what you say and how you say it. Or, it could be because of inner attitudes and your true inner feelings.
The spoken word is often a reflection of the hidden thoughts and attitude of the mind. It may be difficult at times to realize that the fault lies with you. And, it can be just as difficult to initiate a change when you do realize that the fault lies with you.
A Little Difference Makes A Big Difference!
There is a very little difference in people, but that little difference makes a big difference. The little difference is attitude. The big difference is whether it's positive or negative.
People who want to be happy make the decision to have a positive attitude. People who have a negative attitude, many times, think they have a positive attitude and repel the very happiness they are trying to achieve.
What they attract is unhappiness and go around scratching their head trying to figure out who busted their chops. They don't recognize it, but a negative attitude is what robbed them of their happiness.
It Just Goes To Show!
Most people don't really give much thought to "happiness". They just observe whether or not they are. Most people will try to obtain happiness by searching for it. Most fall flat on their face.
You see, happiness is not obtained by searching for it. Happiness is not obtained by acquiring things like money. I know I can hear someone now saying, "You're speaking heresy"! Now listen. There are rich people all over the world that are miserable. And, if you set out to make yourself happy, you will find happiness to be very elusive.
One of the surest ways to obtain happiness is to bring happiness to someone else when you do this, happiness comes to you. What happens is it turns on the attraction mechanism and you can't beat it off with a stick.
Raining Cats And Dogs!
The more you share happiness, the more you will get. But, if you share unhappiness and misery you will get back unhappiness and misery. Sounds logical right? Have you ever known someone who was constantly in trouble? I'm not talking about "opportunities" in disguise.
I'm talking about the person that no matter what happens to him it just isn't good. This guy will find gasoline in his water bucket if he needs to put out a fire. The reason is this type of person is always sharing his troubles with someone else.
What happens then? Others begin to avoid him which just makes his unhappiness worse. Other people know if they get around him all they will hear is, "woe is me".
Whether he will admit it or not, He is trying to get happy by making others feel sorry for him. And maybe they will do something to "fix" his unhappiness although, he won't admit he is unhappy.
Someday My Ship Will Come In!
These are the kind of people who long for happiness and love but never seem to get it. They are repelling the very thing they yearn for with a trouble mentality. They just secretly hope that something good will someday somehow come their way.
Take notice of a conflict sometime between two people. If two forceful personalities are similar you can determine that one personality will respond in the same way the other responds.
It's amazing one harsh word spoken brings another harsh word. One soft word spoken brings another soft word. For these two personalities to get along in harmony, one will need to develop a mindset of a peacemaker. There will be no harmony until one does so, just a lot of bickering.
Go On Reading Top Right
Unique Random Offers to Boost Your Biz!
Visit our Froogle Shop!
Getting To The Top!
The simplest illustration of making this work is that of a salesman and his customer. Every salesman is doing his best to create feelings of happiness and trust in another person. He won't be able to do that by rubbing where there's already a rash.
And, that's where the problem is in most cases. We try to "rub another person's rash". They need honey not vinegar. So, we try to achieve our "happiness"
lt read what we want
gt by causing others to do what we want instead of giving them what they want.
It just seems normal to get what we want by force, power, position, authority, etc. All we end up with most times is a can of worms. In the heat of battle, it seems backwards to do otherwise.
So, we put on the boxing gloves and come out swinging. The salesman by contrast, if he has any training at all, will come out with his silver lined tongue all prepared to bathe us in honey and promise us whatever will give us our hearts desire.
Now think about it. If the sale is made, who won? They both did. Who got happy? They both did. Who got what they wanted? They both did. Who laughed all the way to the bank? They both did.
Now just imagine how you could persuade your teenager to clean his room by using the salesman strategy. The point is we have within us the power to attract everything we want or, repel it into the bottomless pit.
When we get what we desire, we get happy. When we give others something that they feel will make them happy, then happiness comes back to us in waves.
So, what comes first is the sharing of something good and desirable with someone else. Then, something good and desirable that we seek will come back to us.
An Ace Up His Sleeve!
This type of salesman strategy is difficult to adopt. The salesman says the customer is always right. The salesman says there is something that the customer wants and, I have to find a way to give it to him and then I will get what I want.
Think about this: If you find that you are offended when someone yells at you or speaks in a harsh way, you can be sure that someone else is offended by it also, even if it is your five year old son.
Everyone has emotions that need to be stroked. To get what we want we find a way to give them what they want. That's not to say we let them do whatever they want. Not even a salesman can do that. There will be some things about the product that can't be compromised. But, that doesn't stop a sale from being made.
A good persuader will find a way to give the other person what they want and at the same time give themselves what is desirable. If you like being complimented, then it is safe to believe others will like it also.
What Goes Around Comes Around!
So, can happiness be attracted? Can unhappiness be attracted?
The answer to both questions is yes. Happiness is attracted by sharing happiness with others. Unhappiness is attracted by spreading trouble, domineering and manipulative attitudes, and imposing selfish desires with no concern of returning something of value to the other person. It's the, "all about me attitude".
Richard Vegas is a popular recording artist and internet marketing professional. He invites you to subscribe to his FREE weekly ezine "Wing-Tips" Teaching The Success System That Never Fails, at:
You may also hear some of Richard's free music at:
Is Network Marketing Easy??
by Michael Lemm FreedomFire Communications
I personally believe we do a dis-service to the industry and ourselves if we openly state...or even allude...that NWM is easy. It's not. Nor is any business....WAH or brick & mortar. Anyone who does say different is not being wholly truthful. I find that to be a shame.
NWM requires 3 main ingredients....time, effort, and yes - money. Time is just a matter of redirecting your habits. Not easy but doable. Time directly impacts your efficiency. Effort is entirely controllable by the individual....and directly impacts your effectiveness. Money is self limiting and directly affects both efficiency and effectiveness. An individual must find the best combination of the three that works for them. Someone else can't tell you what that combination is....but can help you find it (for example a good sponsor).
The new MLMer faces a daunting task...and competition...when it comes to "advertising". Finding that "best combination" of time, effort, and money is a growth experience. Rarely will it just appear....education (self and provided) plus mentoring (if available) are important factors and hopefully a fact of life. However, "advertising" is not impossible.
In my mind advertising is just whatever method you choose to "reach" people. It might be the traditional newspaper or ezine ad or the simple greeting and sharing with a friend....new or old. How you "advertise" or "share" can take many forms.
There are free and inexpensive methods that do work. It's a matter of finding those that work for you.
1. Writing and submitting ezine articles is an excellent method. It requires time
amp effort...but no money. The benefits include increased link popularity for the url used in your sig box (important for search engine ranking), branding, and reach (you can "reach" more with an article than an ezine ad). Plus it's viral. Often your article is archived by publishers and directories.....available well after it was originally offered. Plus publishers and web masters will often "pick up" your article...again well after you originally submitted it.
2. Business cards are always a good method...and more inexpensive than one realizes. You can even make your own. Just pass them out like candy....stores, church, ball games, local events, restaurants (leave 1 with your bill), businesses you frequent, networking meetings, local Chamber Of Commerce. The possibilities are only limited by your imagination.
3. Flyers, posters, post cards, brochures, etc. can also be done very inexpensively. You can make your own on your PC or purchase custom or ready made templates from numerous online providers. You could even strike up a joint venture with a local community provider. They print it for you and include their "advert" somewhere...you distribute. You both win, you pay less, and maybe influence that partner to be involved in your business.
4. Web decals on your vehicle(s) is another inexpensive method. I have one on each of our family cars (back window) with a short "catch line" and my url. Cost was ~ $40 each but the visiblity is priceless.
5. Newspaper/magazine ads can be found that aren't going to cost an arm and a leg. Local publications are the best place to start. For some of my services I've found College student newspapers and alumni magazines to be good performers.
These are just a few examples.
Of course there are the traditional ezine and magazine ads, leads programs, event booths, direct mailings, card decks, Forum participation (sig line - branding reputation), search engines, "3 foot rule", etc. Most of these will cost you money...all will cost you time
The key I believe is in being creative and sticking to what best fits your time, effort, money combination. It is and should be a personal choice. If the dollar "cost" doesn't give you the dollar "value" you hope for....keep looking. But don't EVER give up.
Plus...diversify. Use multiple methods. Why limit yourself to just "one path"?
Should we just sponsor those willing to waste $1,000's advertising? Heck no!! We should sponsor anyone interested and teach them how to advertise in a manner best suited for them. Don't mislead them with false expectations or pressure them into uncomfortable actions. Lead them to solutions which best fit their expectations
amp abilities (time, effort, money).
Some of you may think this approach too simplistic and not duplicable.
You're married to some system or another.
Well guess what....if you're folks won't, don't, or can't do it..."it ain't duplicable Bubba!"
But if you help them find something they will and can do....THAT approach IS duplicable.
Just remember to be honest, be helpful, be yourself....and have fun! Then pass it on!
I guess to sum it up...I've always liked John Milton Fogg's answer to the question
- "It is simple, but it isn't easy."
Michael's currently a Moderator for MLMForums.com and owner of FreedomFire Communications...providing businesses with a variety of voice, data, and internet solutions.
He recently partnered with Fred Stege to offer the ebook "How To Recruit Your Way To Millions".
Need Help with your eBook or ePublishing, visit my new Forum!
Visit 'Pathway To Success' Archives and Read Past Issues 2001
Visit 'Pathway To Success' Archives and Read Past Issues 2002
Visit 'Pathway To Success' Archives and Read Past Issues 2003
Read Stupidman's Recent Articles, giving you a witty and real picture of the Internet
Check Success Reports
Read Excerpts from Books you need to pay elsewhere!
Success Tips & Tricks
This set of Handbooks brings Business, Marketing and Motivational Articles, Interviews,
Reports, Tools, Tips and Tricks that can change your online home business, boost your sales, help to bring you visitors and more... For a limited time, a unique Bonus is included.
Get Me to YOUR Desktop. Just Click Here and Get 'Search Engine Manual' As a FREE Bonus
Want to know why you should get Smartie?