How To Write A Press Release In 7 Easy Steps
In this article, you will learn how to write a press release easily and effectively. But first, let’s discuss what press releases are. They are written program lines distributed to the media. These letters are used for announcements of news, events, promotions, new products, services and awards.
Press releases can also be used to produce feature stories. They can make their way to the hands of reporters and would likely have attention if it has a story idea to generate. It is one of the best PR works that you could use when being written properly.
Here are 7 important steps on how to write a press release:
Step 1: Write the Headline.
Headlines should be concise, clear and direct-to-the-point. It is the ultimate source of impact of the whole press release, and is a powerful statement that can make or break the entirety of your press release.
· When writing the news release, headlines should employ enticing words that can grab the attention of the readers the same as when it is in the newspaper. It may contain the recent award of the organization, event that was worth telling for, new product release or service.
· The words should be written in bold and should be larger than the plain body text, which is always in a present tense.
· Capitalization of the first word on the headline is necessary as well as proper nouns, while most of the remaining words are written in lower-case. If you want more style, you can use the small caps style but do not capitalize every single word on the headline.
· Find the most significant keywords on the body of your press release for you to have a quick start in writing the headline. Use powerful words and include those keywords you have extracted to form a logical, powerful and attention-grabbing headline.
Step 2: Write the Press Release Body. <
Write the body of the press release the way you would write a news story.
· The press release body should start with the date and city where it originated. You can omit the city if it will only confuse the reader.
· The first sentence is very vital in every press release body. If it grabs the attention of the reader firmly, the reader would want to read the entire press release. If it does not have firm hold on your reader’s attention, chances are he/she will skip the whole body and move on. It should briefly summarize what is currently happening. Furthermore, the next sentences would be supporting sentences of the first one.
· The first paragraph could be the entire summary of the press release and the rest of the body is just the full detail of the summarized story. Journalists and other media men would not read the rest of the body if the first paragraph is poorly written and is not interesting.
· Include facts in the body of the press release.
Step 3: Answer the 5 Ws and the H.
Press releases should answer who, what, when, why, where and how questions.
· Write the press release in this manner: Headline first – the brief summary at the first paragraph – the event or if there are, achievements – products involved – people behind it – concluding summary – the profile of the company.
· Length of press releases should not exceed three pages.
Step 4: Include the Company Information and Profile.
Journalists and the media people can get the company profile in this section of the press release, especially if your press release is picked up and written about.
· Write the title, which is about the company.
· Describe the company in the following 5 – 6 sentences.
· Lead readers to your company’s website at the end of this particular section of the press release.
Step 5: Wrap It All Up.
If there are available supporting links, include them in the press release.
Step 6: Include Contact Information.
If journalists like how you have written your press release, and if it really is newsworthy, they can contact you for more information and interview the principal people behind the press release.
· You can provide the contact information of the people behind the press release or provide the contact information of your PR department.
· Include the following in your contact information:
1. Company’s name
2. PR department and the contact person
3. Office address
4. Telephone and fax numbers with proper extensions
5. Mobile number
6. Availability of time
7. Email address
8. Website address
Step 7: Signal the End.
It is also important that your press release is ended properly by putting signs. Put three number (#) symbols at the center right after the last line.
Hope this article has given you sufficient guidance to write a compelling press release worthy of being published by the media authorities.
Jeremy Gislason is a leading expert on membership sites, marketing and online business. Do you want to market and sell all of your products faster? Free how to business and marketing courses
by clicking here.
Subscribe to Pathway To Success|
Since 2000 published to over 138,500 Subscribers in 94 countries every other Sunday, our Ezine helps its Readers to succeed in their online business, providing them with top webmaster resources, hot marketing tips, profitable business opportunities, FREE advertising, articles, motivational reading, FREE Web Lions' Library, Bonuses and more.
You can also add 'Pathway To Success' and 'Subscriber Corner' Articles to Your Yahoo and/or to my RSS Feed and/or Your MSN by clicking the respective images here:
Now you can receive Pathway directly on your Yahoo. You can subscribe by clicking the image on the right.
To check the current Issue,
please click here
Now you can read Pathway RSS Feed in Google's New Beta RSS Online Reader. You can read it online or subscribe by clicking the image on the right. It's Free.
Also, you can get fresh content on your site. Read more below:
Don't forget to collect YOUR FREE Bonuses!
PLUS NEW! Insider Tips 7
PLUS 2009 Motivational Calendar
Now you can get the full RSS Reader bringing you all the news from Pathway To Success Ezine Portal. Click the image on the right to download.
Even though you may want to move forward in your life, you may have one foot on the brakes. In order to be free, we must learn how to let go. Release the hurt. Release the fear. Refuse to entertain your old pain. The energy it takes to hang onto the past is holding you back from a new life.
What is it you would let go of today?
Mary Manin Morrissey
Special 30-Day Success Course|
Yours for FREE if You Act Now!
I'm Smartie: Get Me to YOUR Desktop. Just Click Here and
Get 'Search Engine Manual' As a FREE Bonus. Click here!
Want to know why you should get Smartie?
To listen to a new Top Show, click the picture.
Visit 'Pathway To Success' Archives and Read Past Issues 2001
Visit 'Pathway To Success' Archives and Read Past Issues 2002
Visit 'Pathway To Success' Archives and Read Past Issues 2003
Visit 'Pathway To Success' Archives and Read Past Issues 2004
Visit 'Pathway To Success' Archives and Read Past Issues 2005
Visit 'Pathway To Success' Archives and Read Past Issues 2006
Visit 'Pathway To Success' Archives and Read Past Issues 2007
Visit 'Pathway To Success' Archives and Read Past Issues 2008
Visit 'Pathway To Success' Archives and Read Past Issues 2009
The virtue of achievement is victory over oneself. Those who know this can never know defeat.
Install our new toolbar, get special business information fast and be informed the minute hot items are out, incl Articles here in Subscriber Corner, new Pathway To Success Issues and much more.
Note: Download the above file, unzip and install. When you open a new browser window, the toolbar should be there. If not, please go to 'View', 'Toolbars' and you will see 'theCassiopeia's' - click on it and the toolbar will display.
Whenever there's a new item, an icon will blink. Click on it and it will take you straight to the information.