Ancient Warrior Secrets for the Modern Entrepreneur
By Hirini Reedy
The words you see on-screen trigger subconscious responses. Dark images penetrate your mind. Your heartbeat increases slightly. Your muscles tighten. Like a warrior advancing to combat, you prepare to engage with your market. Ready, aim, fire. You send an email! Everyday, military metaphors are projected across our computer screens. Guerrilla marketing. Market penetration. Global domination. Competitive intelligence and more. How do you approach your marketing, your business? At the end of the day, do you feel like you have been in battle? Suffering battle fatigue.
War is just metaphor for the application of force. By understanding the nature of war, you can apply this understanding to business. You can apply the principles of war with elegance or with crudeness. It is like knowing the difference between a charging gladiator and a meditating warrior-monk.
Here are some warrior secrets that have been derived from traditional Maori martial arts and modern military tactics. Adapt and apply some of these principles into your life and business.
1. The Power of Oneness. When tracking and observing, you need to become one with your environment. The trees, the insects, the wildlife become your eyes and ears. The forest becomes part of your body. In order to reach this level of feeling, you need to become one with yourself. This power of oneness begins with the point of stillness. You need to slow down your thinking and relax into yourself. Slow down your thoughts so that you can sense your own body. Tense muscles. Nervous responses. Stressed breathing. Just slow down and take time out from your busy work environment. Spend an hour of slow thinking each day. Do nothing during this hour then move when you are ready. The modern entrepreneur is like a scout, silently observing then moving with swift, efficient actions.
2. Know Yourself. Know your strengths and weaknesses. Sometimes it takes honesty to admit your own weaknesses. Your partner, your children or close friends can all be good mirrors. They reflect back both your good and ugly features. The ego of a mighty entrepreneur can be easily pricked by the honest opinion of his 4-year old daughter. Your results are also another good indication. What results are you getting? Look around you for 360 degree feedback. Put yourself in uncomfortable positions so that you can stretch and grow.
3. Know Your Enemy. I said know your enemy, not kill your enemy. Sometimes your worst enemy can be yourself. Sometimes your enemy is called your competitor. Try this. Look at your competitors as potential allies. Study them. Think like them. Talk to them. Understand them. They very much want the same things in life as you do. Yet be like an iron fist wrapped in a velvet glove. Negotiate and operate from a position of strength and honour rather than weakness and deceit. The energy of your values and beliefs radiate out from you like a force-field. What energy are you sending out?
4. Think 3 Times Beyond Your Current Capability. Some warrior races such as the Maori of New Zealand used to train so that one warrior was equal to three or more opponents. Their smallness in numbers was compensated for by the quality of the warriors. Find a way to leverage your current capability so that you achieve a 300 percent improvement in your results. You could be three times faster in delivering your product to the customer. Or your product could be three times more reliable. Why stop at a ratio of three? Perhaps you could achieve a 10, 20 times improvement ratio on your current capability.
5. Focussed Relaxation in High Stress Situations. Stress is the number one cause of reduced work efficiency. When teaching martial arts I encourage people to consciously laugh when in high stress situations. This relaxes the body and allows natural reflexes to emerge. Imagine a bloodstained maniac running at you with an axe. Your body starts to tense up. Your mind panics. Now imagine the same axe maniac running straight into an invisible concrete wall three metres in front of you. He is completely knocked unconscious and thrown backwards onto the floor. You laugh. Now slow this moving image down, frame-by-frame. Bring the invisible concrete wall a little closer each time. Laugh as the maniac gets knocked out. Now speed up the frame sequence. Charging axe maniac. Bang! Knock out! Hahaha! Repeat several times. The concrete wall becomes a metaphor for the power of your focussed mind. The next stage is to learn and apply defensive shock-actions so that you have the equivalent physical impact of an invisible concrete wall. Use this same mind process when encountering negative or hostile customers. Put up an invisible barrier to block their negative energy. Use laughter to disarm the tension. Be in control of your own mind and space.
Find ways to activate the warrior energy within you. Use it as a force for good. This is the challenge for the modern entrepreneur. To serve the common good while creating several successful businesses.
Hirini Reedy is a native author, poet, civil engineer, retired military officer, martial arts black belt, NLP master and internet entrepreneur. Learn more at
Subscribe to Pathway To Success
Published every other Sunday, our Ezine helps Subscribers to succeed in their online business, providing them with top webmaster resources, hot marketing tips, profitable business opportunities, FREE advertising, articles, motivational reading, FREE Web Lions' Library, Bonuses and more.
Not Fully Familiar With Your Computer, Get Your Questions Answered Here!
Get The Money Multipliers Book!
Unique Time-Limited Offer Inside
All you need to know about money doublers, triplers, quadruplers... around!
Learn How To Create Your Portfolio And Profit!
Get This Free Book Giving You Giant Money Potential!
Download free here!
Get a Top Item the Minute It's Out - Watch News Express
Special 30-Day Success Course|
Yours for FREE if You Act Now!
I'm Smartie: Get Me to YOUR Desktop. Just Click Here and
Get 'Search Engine Manual' As a FREE Bonus. Click here!
Want to know why you should get Smartie?
To listen to a new Top Show, click the picture.
Visit 'Pathway To Success' Archives and Read Past Issues 2001
Visit 'Pathway To Success' Archives and Read Past Issues 2002
Visit 'Pathway To Success' Archives and Read Past Issues 2003
Visit 'Pathway To Success' Archives and Read Past Issues 2004
|The Success Seeds|
The Entrepreneurial Bible:
Get the Entrepreneurial Mind & Crete the Wealth You Imagine. The Entrepreneurial Bible
deals with true entrepreneurship, successful entrepreneurs, profitable business, success principles, entrepreneurial myths, character streaks, income streams, investments, investment principles, discipline, motivation for a successful entrepreneur, how to behave moneywise, financial intuition, how to successfully profit on forex, how to succeed in everything a person touches and more.
Get It Here!
Nothing average ever stood as a monument to progress. When progress is looking for a partner it doesn't turn to those who believe they are only average. It turns instead to those who are forever searching and striving to become the best they possibly can. If we seek the average level we cannot hope to achieve a high level of success. Our only hope is to avoid being a failure.
A. Lou Vickery
Install our new toolbar, get special business information fast and be informed the minute hot items are out, incl Articles here in Subscriber Corner, new Pathway To Success Issues and much more.
Note: Download the above file, unzip and install. When you open a new browser window, the toolbar should be there. If not, please go to 'View', 'Toolbars' and you will see 'theCassiopeia's' - click on it and the toolbar will display.
Whenever there's a new item, an icon will blink. Click on it and it will take you straight to the information.
Important: you can have a toolbar of your own below. It's an
amazing tool: easy to create, easy to use, easy to update,
unobtrusive, bringing unbelievable results PLUS endless
makreting and other possibilities limited only by your
imagination. Definitely a tool of the future. I even
created several for my own use containing the information I
need and use regularly. PLUS if you order before 05/07/2004
you will get Bonus templates and pay only a ridiculously low